The First-Year Fellows program is uniquely designed to be much more than an internship. Prior to their placement, Fellows take two academic courses—one on public policy and one on statistical methods—and participate in the Dartmouth Leadership Attitudes and Behaviors program.
During the spring term, Fellows are selected through a competitive application and interview process and then matched with an alumni mentor and placement organization best suited to their academic and career interests.
At the end of the spring term, the students begin Civic Skills Training (CST) which provides them with additional instruction in public speaking, networking, workplace writing, project management, and professionalism. In June, Fellows reconvene in Washington, D.C. for an additional five days of training the week before their 8-week fellowship begins.
Mentors and fellowship placement organizations commit to providing the student meaningful work, first-hand experiences in the policymaking process, and advice about potential career paths.
The Rockefeller Center congratulates the following members of the Class on 2022 on their selection into the First-Year Fellow program, and acknowledges the First-Year Fellow mentors, whose dedication and support make this program possible.
- Ellie Baker, League of Conservation Voters with mentor Tiernan Sittenfeld '96
- Tanner Bielefeld Pruitt, National Science Foundation with mentor Lisa-Joy Zgorski '86
- Andrew Culver, American Wind Energy Association with mentor Tom Kiernan '81 & P'17
- Caitlin (Cait) Deerin, Department of Education with mentor Lauren Kennedy '02
- Addison Dick, Voice of America with mentor John Lippman '71
- Margaret (Maggie) Doyle, World Resources Institute with mentor Sofia Faruqi '07
- Riley Gordon, Office of US Senator Kirsten Gillibrand with mentor Kirsten Gillibrand '88
- Paul Hager, Brookings Institution with mentor Aaron Klein '98
- Chris Jun, Human Rights First with mentor Michael Breen '02
- Arianna Khan, National Disability Institute with mentor Michael Morris P'08 and '14
- Dhwani Kharel, Congressional Research Service with mentor Elizabeth Rybicki '96
- Alexander (Sasha) Kokoshinskiy, Federal Energy Regulatory Commission with mentor Jay Matson '91 and Nancy Bowler '82
- Peter Leutz, Congressional Research Service: Defense and Trade Division with mentor Mary Beth Nikitin '96
- Yangyang Li, International Finance Corporation with mentor Ruth Hupart '08
- Shawdi Mehrvarzan, Federal Energy Regulatory Commission with mentor Jay Matson '91 and Nancy Bowler '82
- Kyle Mullins, Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget with mentor Cathy Solomon '81 (Remote) and Tyler Evilsizer (Supervisor)
- Maia Round, Office of US Congresswoman Ann Mclane Kuster with mentor Ann McLAne Kuster '78
- Maxwell (Max) Schindel, Smithsonian Institute with mentor Edward Rynne '77
- Ranjanpreet (Ranjan) Sehgal, Polarus with mentor John Daken '86
- Samuel (Sam) Selleck, Superior Court of Washington DC with mentor Jennifer Chandler '82 (Remote) and Judge Steve Berk (Supervisor)
- Katherine (Katie) Smith, Office of US Senator Kirsten Gillibrand with mentor Kirsten Gillibrand '88
- Zachary (Zach) Spicer, Americans United for Separation of Church and State with mentor Nikolas Nartowicz '07