The First-Year Fellows program is uniquely designed to be much more than an internship. Prior to their placement, Fellows take two academic courses—one on public policy and one on statistical methods—and participate in the Dartmouth Leadership Attitudes and Behaviors program.
During the spring term, Fellows are selected through a competitive application and interview process and then matched with an alumni mentor and placement organization best suited to their academic and career interests.
At the end of the spring term, the students begin Civic Skills Training (CST) which provides them with additional instruction in public speaking, networking, workplace writing, project management, and professionalism. In June, Fellows reconvene in Washington, D.C. for an additional five days of training the week before their 8-week fellowship begins.
Mentors and fellowship placement organizations commit to providing the student meaningful work, first-hand experiences in the policymaking process, and advice about potential career paths.
The Rockefeller Center congratulates the following members of the Class on 2021 on their selection into the First-Year Fellow program, and acknowledges the First-Year Fellow mentors, whose dedication and support make this program possible.
- Rik Abels, American Petroleum Institute with mentor Rick Ranger ’74
- Olivia Brody-Bizar, National Science Foundation with mentor Lisa-Joy Zgorski
- Eileen Brady, American Wind Energy Association with mentor Tom Kiernan ’81
- Jared Cape, Office of U.S. Congresswoman Anne McLane Kuster ’78
- Walter (Wally Joe) Cook, Voice of America with mentor John Lippman ’71
- Junyang (Bill) Cui, Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) with mentor Jay Matson ’91
- Bruna Decerega, U.S. Committee for Refugees and Immigrants with mentor Jeff Kelley ’69
- Maggie Flaherty, League of Conservation Voters (LCV) with mentor Tiernan Sittenfeld ’96
- Yujing (Amy) Hu, Brookings Institution with mentor Aaron Klein ’98
- Caterina Hyneman, Project on Government Oversight (POGO) with mentor Dani Downing ’99
- Stephen (Stevie) Karol, World Resources Institute with mentor Sofia Faruqi ’07
- Jolie Kemp, Truman National Security Project with mentor Michael Breen ’02
- Justin Kramer, National Disability Institute with mentor Michael Morris P’08 & ’14
- Jessica McDermott, Congressional Research Service with mentor Mary Beth Nikitin ’96
- Max Mickenberg, Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget with mentor Cathy Solomon ’81
- Emily Minsky, Office of U.S. Congresswoman Debbie Wasserman Schultz with mentor Kendra Isaacson ’99
- Michael Morck II, Office of U.S. Senator Kirsten Gillibrand ’88
- Michael Nachman, District of Columbia Superior Court with mentor Jennifer Chandler ’82
- Levi Roseman, U.S. Department of Education with mentor Lauren Kennedy ’02
- Madeleine (Maddie) Sach, Office of U.S. Senator Kirsten Gillibrand ’88
- Zoe Schwartzman, District of Columbia Superior Court with mentor Judge John M. Mott ’81
- Sarah Solomon, Congressional Research Service with mentor Elizabeth Rybicki ’96
- Harish Tekriwal, Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) with mentor Nancy Bowler ’82
- Valerie Truong, Smithsonian Institution with mentor Ed Rynne ’77
- Alice Zhang, Department of Energy with mentor Sarah Lennon ’90